Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Get Out of the Way and Get Over Ourselves!

Texas livin'!
Aloha family! This week was filled with ups and downs. Normal missionary life haha. I must say this, I am learning to truly love everyone and to have patience. If you know me patience is something that I always need to work on. I've always been told that patience is a virtue. My patience really was tested this week. On a positive note, I love the members here. I know I say that in every email but it's true! They are SO awesome and they call me Sister Poly (don't ask). Oh and I got to teach the activity girls how to hula :) That was definitely the highlight of my week. They were SO happy and so grateful. It was so much fun and funny too haha. 

Hula lessons with the Primary Activity girls!
Last week we had exchanges and so I stayed in Azle and Sister Matson went to Hudson Oaks. Yes I had to drive and I also had to take the lead which was my goal for the exchange. We went with Sister Walser who's a member, and visited 2 less active families. The first family was the Hickey family. We met an awesome older lady who had been away from church for years. She had been doing her family history and was very grateful for us stopping by and helping her. We talked to her about the blessing of the temple and encouraged her to make it a goal to go to the temple. She's so awesome. We also went and visited the Smith family. An older couple who hadn't been to church because of health issues. It was so nice to visit Brother & Sister Smith. Brother Smith is doing much better then the first time I met him. Sister Smith was willing to come to church after we start getting her husband back to church so that's a start. We invited Brother Smith to come to church now that he's feeling better & guess what? He came :) it was so nice to see him there with a big smile on his face. 

The Dynamic Duo!  Sister Kawa'a and Sister Matson!
Later in the week I was having a hard time. I felt like we were doing very little to find those to teach. It was frustrating for me and I was very impatient with myself. I ended up asking for a Priesthood blessing because I was just not feeling good. I broke down and felt like giving up. I remember praying and asking Heavenly Father what I am doing wrong? That blessing was exactly what I needed. It reassured me that it wasn't that I was doing something wrong, I just need to stop being stubborn and stop being so hard on myself. I fasted yesterday (which felt like forever lol) but I sincerely and specifically fasted for one of our investigators Jordan and for opportunities to teach. I prayed and asked for her to come to church and to have her questions answered. Well, she came to church, stayed all 3 hours and she said she loved it :) We also had another lesson with her but Sister Matson and I were unsure of what to teach her so, we prayed really hard and we got the answer to show her the Restoration video. After watching it, we asked her what she thought and she said it was just what she needed because it answered the little questions that she had. My prayers were answered! Seeing her faith grow each time we meet with her is so humbling for me. My MTC teacher once said, "It's not about you. Get out of the way and get over yourself!" I just love that because if we get over ourselves and make room for the Spirit, we will see little miracles happen right in front of our eyes.

Teaching investigators!
Missionary work is not an easy one but it sure will be worth it. I was told that this time is a time that will prepare me for the rest of my life and it's something that I will NEVER regret. I was humbled and I am learning that we should never dwell on things that don't really matter in Gods eyes. In the October 2015 General Conference, Elder Larry R. Lawrence said, "If spiritual growth is not a priority in our lives, if we are not on a course of steady improvement, we will miss out on the important experiences that God wants to give us. Sometimes, we need to ask what we are doing right so that the Lord can lift and encourage us." My sweet 'ohana, let us continue to press forward and always remember that all is well. Let's get out of the way and get over ourselves. We can't always have a good day. We need to have rough times so that we can grow, change and become better. I testify that as we seek for opportunities to grow, our prayers will be answered and Heavenly Father will allow us to become who we were meant to be. I am so grateful for this opportunity to serve the Lord. I love y'all so much and I'm so grateful for your support, your emails, your letters and your encouragement. Til next week! Y'all have a good week :) Hurrah for Israel! 
Best companion ever!  Sister Matson!
P-Day fun with the other missionaries!
Me Ke Aloha,
Sister Kawa'a 

No comments:

Post a Comment